Week one of our 28 Day Metabolic Detox is complete. Here’s an update on what we experienced.
First, I want to point out that our Metabolic Detoxification Program is science based, and utilizes real food from day one. Don’t confuse our detox with some of the fad cleanses found on the internet.
The first week is the time when you ease into the program. We were able to eat all of the food on the Recommended Food List and eat as much as we wanted. Pretty much all fruits and vegetables , nuts, chicken, turkey, lamb, spices, healthy fats and legumes are on the list. There are no caloric restrictions on the detox, so we were never really hungry.
The goal of the first phase is to get you used to eating clean, and to eliminate some of the more common toxins such as sugar, alcohol, caffeine, and simple carbohydrates. You also slowly ramp up your consumption of the nutritional supplements provided in the detox. These supplements contain important vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, and amino acids that your liver needs to rid your body of toxins.
The first week is usually the most difficult. You may experience some discomfort, especially if you were used to caffeinated drinks and highly sugared or processed foods. This is normal and to be expected. It takes about a week for your body to transition from being so accustomed to the glucose and insulin spikes and crashes so common with the Standard American Diet (SAD). Once you get through that phase, you’ll be amazed at how your energy level will increase. Your body naturally want to be healthy, and when you remove the barriers to good health, your body will reward you!
Both Dianna and I experienced some bloating, and Dianna had some fatigue in the first few days, but as the week progressed, both of these symptoms began to subside. We’ve both noticed that our sleeping patterns have improved and our energy levels are more consistent and higher.
This coming week, we’ll be entering the second phase, which is the more vigorous part of the program in terms of detoxification. We’ll still be eating real, healthy food, but our choices will be more limited as we increase our nutritional supplements and allow our liver to do it’s detox thing!
Mike’s Week One Experience:
- a little bloating.
- I wasn’t much of a vegetable eater before beginning the detox, so transitioning over to lots of veggies was a bit of a challenge, but my energy levels have increased as a result.
- definitely going to the bathroom more frequently – getting rid of those toxins!
- sleeping patterns improved – falling asleep easier and staying asleep through the night.
- morning meal – smoothie made with filtered water, almond, or oat milk, frozen blueberries and strawberries, spinach,and nutritional powder. Delicious!
- go-to snack – carrots and cucumbers with hummus – never thought I’d like hummus, but I do!
- biggest challenge – getting used to paying attention to what I’m eating throughout the day and being prepared for each meal and snack.
Dianna’s Week One Experience:
- also experienced a little bloating.
- falling asleep much easier.
- morning meal – smoothie with filtered water, almond, oat or rice milk, frozen raspberries, blackberries, or strawberries, spinach, kale, and nutritional powder.
- go-to-snack – handful of nuts, veggies and hummus, pickles.
- went to a cocktail party and had to be very prepared before going. Made sure to eat before we left for the party so I wouldn’t be hungry!
- biggest challenge – not picking at our children’s food when I was making their lunches and snacks – which is what I would usually do.
So Week One is in the books, and here we go into Week Two. We’ll let you know how it went in our next post.
Michael Lenz RPh, is a partner in Fallon Wellness Pharmacy of Saratoga. He has over 15 years experience in custom compounding. Michael has received extensive training in Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) and Adrenal Fatigue. He is an advocate for healthy eating and proper nutritional supplementation, and speaks frequently on the subjects of hormone health, nutrition and wellness. Michael is a Primal Blueprint Certified Expert, and is currently enrolled in the Institute For Functional Medicine’s Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner Program. He lives in Saratoga Springs, NY with his wife and 4 children.